Friday, May 22, 2009

Small Victories

Today we had a few small victories that were very nice after our rough day yesterday of having to leave La Caribe. To any other, they may seem meaningless but, we take what we can get!

1. I've been trying to outwit a rat that has been sneaking into our house. First there was "evidence" all over our kitchen and living area which, was gross. I had to clean up little pelts every morning. So, I put out some rat poison. The rat countered by chewing holes in our screens. That was frustrating because we had just fixed them. I then put traps in the windows but, only caught lizards in them. Today we had sweet victory! Our dog, Uluru, caught the rat in the garden! Since Rich was gone I had to dispose of the body but, I'm happy to be rat free. I hope that if he had any rat friends or family that they will take care and go away.

2. Fridays I having a mentoring program with four of the girls from the Children's Home. Two girls come in the morning and two in the afternoon. Every time we are together I like to talk with them about school and how things are going. I also like to talk a little about different values. Today, I wanted to talk about sharing with the younger girls. It is nothing scripted or serious I just try to get them thinking a little. We started working on gifts for there mothers. El dia de la madre is next weekend. The girls made bracelets for their moms, the house moms, aunts, grandmas and sisters. Although they really liked some of the beads they were only allowed to make something for someone else. They were so excited to plan a special way to share with these important women. They giggled among themselves and then made me a bracelet. I'm not a mom and they know that but, they wanted to share with me too. They said I would be a mom someday. And when I'm a mom they want the baby to be fat like me, not skinny like Rich. It was very sweet! Note: Being "fat" here is a good thing. 

3. Rich had an opportunity to serve today. On his way back from Rio San Juan this morning he saw a cement truck and a cement pump truck badly stuck. It is very unusual to have this kind of machinery around here so he stopped to chat. The people he talked with are trying to build a house but, the truck got stuck. He rushed back to camp to get some shovels, wheelbarrows, and able bodied men. Thankfully he was able to get there in time to save the concrete load before it dried and got it to the correct place.

These may seem silly but, we are learning that though some days you may fell like a failure God blesses you with simple victories to encourage you and to keep on keeping on.